Mosquitoes have always been a nuisance, but there are increasing concerns about how they spread disease because of Zika virus. Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus mostly bite during the daytime hours and are also known to spread other diseases, such as dengue and chikungunya viruses. Unfortunately, Zika, which is linked to severe birth defects, can be spread during sex, and there are currently no vaccines to prevent the spread of this disease.
DIY Pest Control Solutions
Fortunately, there are lots of ways that you can prevent mosquito bites and reduce your risk of contracting Zika virus.
Here are some ways to keep mosquitoes away and protect yourself:
- Wear long pants and sleeves when outdoors
- Sleep under a mosquito net if you are unable to find shelter or air conditioning
- Use EPA-registered insect repellents that contain DEET, picaridin, IR3535, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or para-menthane-diol
- Visit the Center for Disease Control’s website for Zika updates before traveling
And here are some tips for controlling mosquitoes outside and around your home:
- Install window and door screens
- Repair any cracks in your septic tank
- Cover plumbing pipes and open vents
- In dark, humid areas that attract mosquitoes use an outdoor insect repellent spray
Quick, Easy, and Cheap DIY Projects
Summer is a perfect time to start a new DIY project, especially one that protects you and your family from discomfort and disease. Here are some DIY pest control ideas to try around the house, yard, and campgrounds you visit to keep mosquitoes at bay.
DIY Citronella Torches
Making DIY citronella torches is an easy and fun project with which the whole family can get involved. You can make DIY wine bottle mosquito torches that are great for outdoor spaces and only require a few simple supplies.
These are the supplies you’ll need to create a torch that makes a practical and stylish addition to any backyard barbecue:
- Glass bottles
- 1/2-inch replacement torch wicks
- 1/2-inch x 3/8-inch copper coupling with stop
- 1/2-inch copper tube cap
- 1/2-inch Teflon tape
- 1-2 bags of marbles
- Tiki fuel
- 1/2-inch funnel
You can find the full DIY instructions on natural lifestyle site, Hello Glow.
DIY Citronella Candles
Similarly, you can make DIY citronella candles to keep mosquitoes away when you’re in the backyard or at a campground. To make your own candles, pick up some mason jars, pre-made wicks, tape or hot glue, soy wax, and citronella oil. The tools you’ll need are a large pot, metal mixing bowl, and scissors.
DIY Network has a great recipe for citronella candles with step-by-step photos that’s worth trying out if you plan to spend time outdoors this summer.
DIY Fan & Window Screen
All you need is a box fan and a window screen for this DIY project that couldn’t get any simpler. Instructables features a step-by-step guide on capturing and exterminating insects using this method, along with helpful usage tips.
Other great DIY resources to check out for mosquito control include the following:
- Consumer Reports’ “Mosquito Repellents That Best Protect Against Zika”
- Do It Yourself’s Mosquito Control Tips, including using mouthwash, lavender, dry ice, and catnip!
When to Call the Professionals
If you’re looking for suburban pest control solutions that are outside your comfort zone and beyond your level of expertise, don’t hesitate to call Precise Pest Control at 866-971-2847 to professionally handle your mosquito situation. We’ve been your trusted leader in mosquito control in New Jersey for over 25 years and are your local specialists in targeting mosquito breeding locations, eliminating mosquitoes fast, and helping you prevent potentially hazardous mosquito bites.